4 Misconceptions About Sustainability

4 Misconceptions About Sustainability

As sustainability becomes more and more important, there are many misconceptions about sustainable living that can prevent people from taking steps to better the planet. From the idea that sustainable living is always more expensive to the notion that all plastic is recycled, continue reading below as we tackle 4 misconceptions about sustainability.

It’s expensive to lead a sustainable lifestyle

While this can sometimes be the case, it does not always have to be true. Buying less, slowing down your purchases and shopping secondhand are great ways to live consciously while still saving money. Being mindful of your purchases and investing in quality products that last a long time is better for the planet and your wallet.

Recycling is easy

Recycling is typically pretty convenient with municipal recycling programs. Something many people don’t realize, though, is that there’s a right and wrong way to recycle. Take plastic, for instance. There are several types that can’t be recycled. On top of that, even materials that can be recycled can’t always be recycled. So while recycling is a truly planet-saving act, it’s an important topic to educate yourself on.

Sustainable living takes too much time

Convenience is a really hard factor to overcome when it comes to sustainable living. Research is often required to find sustainable products and things like composting take more effort than the conventional ways of buying and discarding food.

The good news is there are so many eco-friendly actions that can be seamlessly integrated into your daily routine. For instance, bringing your own shopping bag to the grocery store to avoid going home with plastic bags. Or repurposing jars and containers for things around the house. So be realistic with yourself, start small and see what works for you.

All plastic is recyclable and recycled

Globally, only 9% of the plastic ever produced is recycled. The other 91% ends up in landfills, the environment or is incinerated. 

All used plastic can technically be recycled and turned into new things, but picking it up, sorting it out and melting it down is expensive. Plastic also degrades each time it is reused, meaning it can’t be reused more than once or twice. On the other hand, new plastic is cheap. It’s made from oil and gas, and it’s almost always less expensive and of better quality to just start fresh.

This misconception that all plastic is recyclable proves that avoiding single-use plastics and opting for durable, eco-friendly products, like our collection of reusable stainless steel drinkware, is often the better choice for the environment, our health and our wallets.