You hear all the time how important it is to stay hydrated. Water makes up about 60% of our body weight and is needed to help maintain a healthy weight, flush out toxins from the body and keep your temperature normal.
Why is it important to stay hydrated?
The body constantly loses water throughout the day, mostly through urine and sweat but also from regular body functions like breathing.
Drinking water daily helps prevent dehydration and keeps all of our internal organs functioning properly. Some other benefits include:
- Regulating body temperature
- Flushing bacteria from our body
- Aiding in digestion
- Lubricating our joints
Even low levels of dehydration can cause physical stress on your body. A few common signs to watch out for include headaches, dizziness, muscle weakness and fatigue.
So...how much water do you need daily?
There are many different opinions on how much water you should be drinking every day. Health experts commonly recommend eight 8-ounce glasses a day.
But how much water you need depends on a lot of things and varies from person to person. For healthy adults, The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine recommends:
- Women: 11.5 cups (2.7 liters)
- Men: 15.5 cups (3.7 liters)
While these are general recommendations, you might need to modify your total fluid intake based on several factors:
- Environment. You will need more water in hot, humid or dry areas. You’ll also need more water if you live in the mountains or at a high altitude.
- Diet. If you drink a lot of coffee and other caffeinated beverages you might lose more water through extra urination. You will also need to drink more water if your diet is high in salty, spicy or sugary foods.
- Exercise. If you do any activity that makes you sweat, you will need to drink more water to cover water loss.
- Overall health. If you have an infection or a fever, or if you lose fluids through vomiting or diarrhea, you will need to drink more water.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding. If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, you may need additional fluids to stay hydrated.
Keeping up with your health has never been more important. So if you need a reusable water bottle to keep you hydrated wherever you go, our Roamer Bottle is the one for you. It’s insulated and made from BPA-free stainless steel to keep your water cold for hours.
Reduce your environmental impact and stay hydrated by making the switch to reusables.